Real Madrid is in the driver’s seat against cross-town rivals and fellow Spanish La Liga club Atletico Madrid in their two-legged European Champions League semifinal as they won their home leg 3-0 at the Bernabeu last week. The two sides will decide matters this Wednesday, May 10th when they meet at Atletico’s Vicente Calderon Stadium. It’s a tough task for Atletico though as Real has eliminated them three years in a row from the Champions League including twice in the Final. Real Madrid made it to the semifinals by beating German Bundesliga leaders Bayern Munich 6-3 on aggregate in the quarterfinals while Atletico downed Leicester City of the English Premier League 2-1.
Atletico Madrid vs Real Madrid – bet365 Soccer Betting Line:
- bet365 currently lists Real Madrid as the favorites to win the 90-minute game at 13/8 with Atletico Madrid 7/4 and a draw at 13/5
bet365 Soccer Bonuses:
- With bet365’s Euro Soccer Bonus you can earn up to 100% more on your returns if you place accumulators on the Premier League, Champions League, Bundesliga, Primera Liga or Serie A. Place a pre-match accumulator of three or more selections on the Full Time Result or Result/Both Teams To Score markets combining teams in any of these competitions, and if successful, bet365 will add the relevant bonus to your returns.
- With the Bore Draw Money Back offer even a goalless draw is never the worst result with bet365 – if you place a pre-match bet on any Correct Score, Half-Time/Full-Time or Scorecast market for any Soccer match and the game finishes 0-0, bet365 will refund your stake if the bet loses.
- With the Each-Way First Goalscorers offer you can have an Each-Way First Goalscorer bet on any match, and be safe in the knowledge that if your player scores at any time during the game we will pay you out! Each-Way bets are settled on all goalscorers at 1/3 odds for unlimited places in 90 minutes play.
Atletico Madrid vs Real Madrid – Head to Head:
- This is the fifth time the two clubs have met in the European Cup/Champions League. They’ve played each other eight times overall in the tournament with Real Madrid winning five, losing one and drawing the other two. Last week’s 3-0 home win came courtesy of a Cristiano Ronaldo hat trick. Real downed Atletico 5-3 in a penalty shootout in last year’s Champions League Final after playing to a 1-1 draw. Real also beat them 4-1 in the Final two years earlier. The clubs have met 215 times in all competitions with Real winning 110, losing 54 and drawing the other 52 and outscoring Atletico 360-273.
Atletico Madrid – A Closer Look:
Atletico Madrid currently sits in third place in the Spanish league after beating Eibar 1-0 at home on the weekend. They’re still 10-points back of leaders Barcelona and Real Madrid with Real having a game in hand. Atletico has five wins, three defeats and a draw in their previous nine games in all competitions. They have 22 victories in La Liga this season along with eight draws and six defeats for 74 points with 66 goals for and a league-low 25 against.
Atletico is still looking for their first European Cup after losing all three Finals they’ve reached. However, they’ve won several other European competitions in the past. Atletico topped Group D during the group stage this year with 15 points from five wins and a defeat with seven goals for and two against while winning all three home games. This is the club’s sixth European semifinal appearance with a record of 3-2.
Atletico is unbeaten at home in their five previous semifinal contests with four victories and a draw and have yet to allow a goal against. Atletico has met fellow Spanish clubs 21 times in the past in Europe with a record of eight wins, eight defeats and five draws. They have six victories, three losses and two draws at home and their record is 5-3 in two-legged ties against Spanish sides.
Real Madrid – A Closer Look:
This is the seventh-straight Champions League semifinal appearance for Real Madrid and their 28th overall semifinal in European competitions with a record of 14-13. They’ve reached 12 previous Champions League semifinals and won five of them, going on to capture the trophy each of those five seasons. However, they’ve won just two of their past seven semifinal series.
Real hasn’t fared too well away from home in their past seven European semifinals though with just one victory along with four defeats and two draws. Their overall record in away semifinal games is five wins, six draws and 16 losses. Real is undefeated in the current Champions League season with eight wins and three draws. The club also has seven wins and a loss in their previous eight outings in all competitions.
Real Madrid is still fighting with arch rivals Barcelona for this season’s Spanish league crown title after their 4-0 away win in Granada on the weekend. They’re currently in second place on the La Liga table on goal difference as they’re tied with Barcelona on points with 84. They do have a game in hand though as they seek their 33rd Spanish league championship. Real has 26 wins, six draws and losses with 96 goals scored and 39 conceded. They’re 10 points ahead of third-place Atletico Madrid with a game in hand.
Real Madrid finished as runners to Borussia Dortmund in Group F in the first stage of the tournament with three wins and three draws for 12 points while scoring 16 times and conceding 10 against. They’re hoping to become the first club to repeat as champions of Europe in the Champions League era and are looking for their record 12th European championship overall.
Real Madrid has taken on Spanish teams 21 times before in Europe with 12 victories, three defeats and six draws. They have two wins, two defeats and three draws away from home and have gone 5-2 against Spanish teams in two-legged ties. This is the fifth time Real has faced a Spanish team in the semifinals and they’re undefeated in the past eight games against Spanish opposition in Europe since 2011.
Atletico Madrid vs Real Madrid – Takeaway:
- Atletico has to win this game 3-0 just to send it to 30 minutes of extra time. If it’s still level after extra time it will go to a penalty shootout. Real will advance with a win or a draw or a three-goal defeat in which they score at least one goal. Atletico needs to win by four or more goals to advance.
More bet365 Features:
- Premier League Odds and Betting Previews
- Full review – bet365 online sportsbook.
- NEW: bet365 Auto Cash Out Feature.
- Check out bet365 Casino Games now! There are some great new Slots and Promotions in the bet365 Casino.
- While you are at it, check out our summary of the Best Online Betting Bonuses now.