English Premier League club Arsenal has its back against the wall this Tuesday, March 7th when they host reigning German Bundesliga Champions Bayern Munich at the Emirates Stadium in London. This is the second-leg of the teams’ home-and-away series in the round-of-16 of the European Champions League with Bayern Munich holding a commanding 5-1 lead after their home leg on February 15th. Bayern Munich eliminated Arsenal from the competition during the last-16 stage in 2004/05, 2012/13 and again in 2013/14.
Arsenal vs Bayern Munich – bet365 Soccer Betting Line:
- bet365 currently lists Munich as the favorites to win the game at 13/10 with Arsenal 2/1 and a draw at 13/5
bet365 Soccer Bonuses:
- With bet365’s Euro Soccer Bonus you can earn up to 100% more on your returns if you place accumulators on the Premier League, Champions League, Bundesliga, Primera Liga or Serie A. Place a pre-match accumulator of three or more selections on the Full Time Result or Result/Both Teams To Score markets combining teams in any of these competitions, and if successful, bet365 will add the relevant bonus to your returns.
- With the Bore Draw Money Back offer even a goalless draw is never the worst result with bet365 – if you place a pre-match bet on any Correct Score, Half-Time/Full-Time or Scorecast market for any Soccer match and the game finishes 0-0, bet365 will refund your stake if the bet loses.
- With the Each-Way First Goalscorers offer you can have an Each-Way First Goalscorer bet on any match, and be safe in the knowledge that if your player scores at any time during the game we will pay you out! Each-Way bets are settled on all goalscorers at 1/3 odds for unlimited places in 90 minutes play.
Arsenal vs Bayern Munich – Head to Head:
- Bayern has six wins, two draws and three losses in their 11 previous matches with Arsenal, including the 5-1 win two weeks ago. They’ve outscored the Gunners 22-12 in those contests as well. The last time they faced off in the group stage Arsenal won 2-0 in London and was thumped 5-1 in Munich. In their last knockout meetings, Bayern drew 1-1 in England and won 3-1 in Germany. Bayern has two wins, a draw and two losses on the road against Arsenal.
Bayern Munich – A Closer Look:
Bayern Munich is fighting for its 27th Bundesliga title, but is facing a relatively stiff challenge from second-place RB Leipzig. This is the 18th time Bayern Munich has faced an English team in the past five seasons. Bayern was knocked out of the Champions League at the final four stage in the past three seasons. They were beaten by the controversial away-goals rule to Spanish La Liga team Atlético Madrid last year.
Bayern made it to the semifinals last season by beating Italian champions Juventus in the round of 16 last year with a 2-2 draw in Turin and a 4-2 win at home. The last time Munich was eliminated in the round of 16 was in 2010/11. They were once again knocked out on the away-goals rule by losing 1-0 in Italy to Inter Milan and winning 3-2 in Munich. Bayern has just three wins in their past 13 European away games with three draws and seven losses.
Bayern finished as runners up in Group D this campaign with four wins and a pair of defeats with 14 goals scored and six allowed. They were fine at home, but struggled away from home with a win and pair of losses while being outscored 5-4 in those away matches. Thiago scored twice against Arsenal in the 5-1 win two weeks ago while Arjen Robben, Robert Lewandowski, and Thomas Muller also hit the net for Bayern. Alexis Sanchez scored the lone goal for Arsenal. Bayern has five wins, eight draws and eight losses on their previous visits to England.
Arsenal – A Closer Look:
The Gunners have been eliminated in the round-of-16 stage for six straight seasons and it looks like it’ll be seven after this game unless they perform a minor miracle. They’re top-four in England as usual, but haven’t won the Premier League title since 2004. Arsenal won Group A in the Champions League this season with 14 points, two points more than French champions Paris Saint-Germain. The Gunners went unbeaten with four wins and two draws with 18 goals for and six against.
They won twice and drew the other game at home in the group stage. It was the first time Arsenal went unbeaten in a Champions League group stage since the 2005/06 season. They managed to reach the Final that year, but were edged 2-1 by Spanish giants Barcelona. They were knocked out of last year’s round-of-16 stage by Barcelona 5-1 on aggregate with a 2-0 loss at home and a 3-1 defeat in Spain.
Overall, Arsenal has 16 wins, six draws and 13 losses to German opposition with 11 wins, a draw and five losses at home. Arsenal has struggled at home lately in the Champions League though with nine wins, seven losses and two draws in their past 18 matches at the Emirates. However, they’ve won two in a row against German opposition at home after losing four straight.
Arsenal vs Bayern Munich – Takeaway
Bayern Munich is after their sixth European Cup while Arsenal is still seeking its first. This series will go to extra time if Arsenal wins the game 5-1. If it’s still level after extra time it will be decided by a penalty shootout. Arsenal is 2-2 in European shootouts while Bayern is 5-1. Bayern will advance with a draw or win while Arsenal will advance with a 4-0 win or any win by five goals or more.
Check out bet365 Casino Games now! There are some great new Slots and Promotions in the bet365 Casino.
While you are at it, check out our summary of the Best Online Betting Bonuses now.