Plymouth Argyle of fourth-tier League Two will be hosting Premier League side Liverpool at Home Park down on the south coast in an English FA Cup third round replay this Wednesday, January 18th. The two clubs met at Anfield in Liverpool on January 8th and couldn’t solve anything as they played to a 0-0 draw. If this match ends in another draw it will go to 30 minutes of extra time and then a penalty shootout if it isn’t decided. The winner will meet Wolverhampton Wanderers at home in the fourth round on Liverpool is coming off of a 1-1 draw at Manchester United in league action on Sunday while Plymouth beat Stevenage 4-2 at home a day earlier.
Plymouth Argyle vs Liverpool – bet365 Soccer Betting Line:
- bet365 currently lists Liverpool as the favorites to win the 90-minute game at 2/7 with Plymouth 10/1 and a draw at 11/2
bet365 Soccer Bonuses:
- With bet365’s Euro Soccer Bonus you can earn up to 100% more on your returns if you place accumulators on the Premier League, Champions League, Bundesliga, Primera Liga or Serie A. Place a pre-match accumulator of three or more selections on the Full Time Result or Result/Both Teams To Score markets combining teams in any of these competitions, and if successful, bet365 will add the relevant bonus to your returns.
- With the Bore Draw Money Back offer even a goalless draw is never the worst result with bet365 – if you place a pre-match bet on any Correct Score, Half-Time/Full-Time or Scorecast market for any Soccer match and the game finishes 0-0, bet365 will refund your stake if the bet loses.
- With the Each-Way First Goalscorers offer you can have an Each-Way First Goalscorer bet on any match, and be safe in the knowledge that if your player scores at any time during the game we will pay you out! Each-Way bets are settled on all goalscorers at 1/3 odds for unlimited places in 90 minutes play.
Plymouth Argyle vs Liverpool – Head to Head:
- The two teams have met just 11 times in the past with Liverpool winning five, losing two and drawing the other four. The Reds are unbeaten in the last seven with four wins and three draws. Plymouth’s last win was 4-0 at home in 1956 in Division Two action. Liverpool has never been beaten by a fourth tier club in the FA Cup with 12 wins and three draws and has reached the fourth round in each of the last five seasons. Plymouth has been eliminated from the FA Cup 11 straight times against top-tier. However, they did beat West Brom in 1983/84 in the
Plymouth Argyle – A Closer Look:
Plymouth enters the game in second place in the 24-team League Two standings with 51 points out of a possible 75 after 25 matches. They have 16 wins, three draws and six losses with 41 goals scored and 21 allowed and are four points behind first-place Doncaster. They beat Mansfield in the first round of the FA Cup and downed Newport in the second round. Newcomer Nathan Blissett won’t be available for the game since he’s cup-tied.
Plymouth has clean sheets in four of their past seven matches, including the 0-0 draw at Anfield and has eight on the season. They have four wins, two draws and a loss over those seven games in all competitions. The club has eight wins, three draws and three defeats in its 11 home league games this season and is unbeaten in the last four at Home Park.
Liverpool – A Closer Look:
The Reds enter the match in a second-place tie with Tottenham Hotspur in the Premier League, seven points back of Chelsea. Liverpool has 45 points from 13 wins, six draws and two defeats with a league-high 49 goals for and just 24 against. Their goal is to finish the season at least in the top four to earn a berth in the 2017/18 European Champions League, but are also legitimate challengers for the title as well as both the FA Cup and English League Cup. Liverpool enjoyed a 15-game undefeated string earlier this season in all competitions , but are now winless in their past three outings in all competitions with a loss and three draws.
But in the bigger picture, the team has just two losses in their past 25 contests in all competitions. Manager Jurgen Klopp has several injury concerns to deal with as forward Danny Ings and goaltender Adam Bogdan are out for the season while defender Nathan Clyne and midfielder Marko Grujic are listed as day to day. In addition, Sadio Mane is away with Senegal at the African Cup of Nations. Liverpool has six wins, four draws and two losses away from home in league action this year with 23 goals for and 17 against. They have seven clean sheets in their previous 13 matches in all competitions.
Plymouth Argyle vs Liverpool – Takeaway:
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp’s foolishness in the first meeting between these teams at Anfield shouldn’t be underestimated. With Liverpool chasing its first ever Premier League title as well as playing in the FA and League Cups, he started the youngest ever squad in the team’s history against Plymouth on January 8th. This decision means the team now has to play yet one more game in an already congested fixture list instead of ending it at Anfield with an experienced side.
By Ian Palmer